I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a concert that made me so damn proud to be a woman.
I’m talking about an entire band made up of all females (including a guitarist with wild pyrotechnics)
I’m talking about a full roster of gorgeous female dancers (save for Les Twins)
I’m talking about a singer/dancer/performer/mother who managed to come off humble, strong, funny, hardworking, sexy, delicate, feminine, kind, emotional, confident, and happy all in one show.
At one point?
Beyonce actually sang a lyric about perfection while joking about her arm fat flapping in the wind(!). Yes, she sang the theme song to The Jeffersons. Yes, her ass looked incredible in a full length blue sequined jumpsuit. Yes, FLOTUS and her gorgeous daughters were in attendance. And in the middle of ‘If I were a boy,’ she mashed up the chorus with Bittersweet Symphony and it elevated the song to absolute greatness.
‘Love on top’ just killed it for me and I’m fairly certain it always will…those powerful lyrics makes me want to dance, shake that ass, and sing as loud as my lungs will let me. So that’s just what I did.
I loved watching this woman, this absolute powerhouse, raise up every single person in attendance with love and with music. How great to see what she’s doing in this world. How incredible, this life she is living, and sharing, with us. How kick ass to take all of that energy and grace she bestowed, wrap it around our shoulders like a warm jacket, and wear it tomorrow?
- No sleep for past two days due to constant checking of Theo’s breathing, giving pain meds, monitoring his hydration, etc. I am walking around and functioning but I have no idea how I am actually managing this…my head is heavy, my eyes have serious baggage, and I can’t even recall what I did 5 minutes ago. I vaguely remember being awake at 3:41am and being terrified because Theo wasn’t sleeping, he was just sitting next to my bed, staring at me. My first thought was, “Holy shit, is he dead?!” (obviously, he was not). I ran through my checklist of assessments, deemed him just fine, and gently laid him on Fitz’s side of the bed (he’s at Notre Dame- perfect timing to leave me in hell).
- Wells wants to climb, stand, and leap off couches: DUDE (*holds hand over face, shakes head*). I was really tempted to hog tie him today just for five minutes so I could drink coffee without having a coronary.
- Me, finally taking a shower after two days of the same running clothes (what I was wearing when Theo got hurt). I feel much more alert and much more like a woman since I was actually able to shave my legs.
- A dog, slowly getting his energy (and his groove) back. My little woof shows signs of improvement every day. Yes, he has battlewounds and is moving pretty slow, but I see glimmers of his old spunky self when he nuzzles his face in my hand or puts his front paws up on the window sill to check out the cars driving by.
- Not only is this intensely humid weather gross and unbearable, but it has turned my house has turned into a full blown animal kingdom of insects…really creepy ones like beetles, red spiders, and centipedes. Shudder.
- Ordered up a juicer today, which should really come in handy given the boatload of peaches, greens, carrots, herbs, and berries from our CSA pickup. Also, this girl needs to seriously reset her eating habits…so bring on the green juice.
Tonight is (hopefully) when the tides will turn.
Why tonight, you ask?
TONIGHT IS BEYONCE AT THE UNITED CENTER.
Tonight will be all about commemorating birthdays with my sister (tickets were gifts from our husbands), sipping wine and noshing at my favorite local spot, downing espresso for a jolt if necessary, and dancing our asses off.
(‘Run the World’ has never been more relevant or necessary for this girl)
The title of this post is all things cheesy but at least it’s informative.
Let’s talk shoes. Specific shoes.
There, I said it out loud. I have been hemming and hawing over this trend for awhile now, and my emotions still range from OMG-hideous to full-on shoe lust. So here are my thoughts (warning: the following rambles will not be articulate, meaningful, nor life-changing…its basically just me running my mouth on something frivolous that has no real relevance juxtaposed with today’s societal issues. If you are looking for something with more depth, might I suggest heading right on over to The New York Times? Ok, then).
When I think of wedge sneakers, a giant red alarm goes off in my head, and the words “trucker hat!” appear over and over. This is because when that trend arose awhile back, I remember thinking that I didn’t care which amazing celebrity ran around wearing a trucker hat, I still thought they look awful. It was a trend I just couldn’t get on board with, so I didn’t. And I am realllly glad I didn’t.
I had been having some anxiety about sneaker wedges because I was holding out to see if this was a fast dying trend (like leg warmers, good god), or if some genius had perfected a bad-ass, comfortable, everyday shoe that could transform the jeans/sneaker combo into an effortlessly chic look with a side of punk. I’m starting to lean towards the latter.
My criteria for wedge sneakers:
- Black (show less wear and tear, versatile with jeans/leggings)
- Preference for velcro straps vs. laces (chasing after Wells, don’t always have time to sit down and tie shoes)
- Texture (I was drawn to the pairs that mixed fabrics)
Here is what I came up with: 3 options that fall under Pricey, Cheaper, and Cheapest
Pricey: Ash Leather Wedge Sneaker in Black ($295)
Perfect if money was no object. Unfortunately? Money is an object. Also, while they seem like great quality with use of real leather, they still require that I have to sit down and lace them up to wear them. Not ideal for a mama-on-the-go.
Cheaper: Steve Madden ‘Hilight’ Wedge Sneaker in Black ($149.95)
Great use of contrasting textiles and I like all of the velcro straps. Still seems a tad pricey for a shoe that is not 100% suede. I also have a bit of suede-anxiety because living in the Midwest, shoes (specifically suede ones) get eaten alive by salt covered sidewalks and streets.
Cheapest: Target - Xhilaration’s Kahsha Wedge Sneaker in Black ($34.99)
This is the part where I start to feel like I’m taking crazy pills…because this shoe looks so freaking identical to the Steve Maddens, but they are still about $120 apart on price which just seems insane. *scratches head*
So what did I do?
I bought the Target sneaks. I was very hesitant to do so because of my whole ‘quality over quantity’ manifesto. So while the sneakers are here at my house, they are still in the box. I’m going to swing by Nordstroms to try on the Steve Maddens just to make sure I’m not compromising quality in this purchase.
The good news? Every single one of these shoes has 5-star reviews across the board. People are raving about the look and the comfort which speaks volumes to a mama that is constantly striving for both (while I love everything fashion, I refuse to wear something that would prohibit me from playing around with my son).
So stay tuned, an update is forthcoming.
In the mean time, check out Beyonce rocking her wedge sneaks like it ain’t no thang.
(P.S. Baby Takes Manhattan, this post was inspired by YOU!)
Tried on the Ash and the Steve Maddens today…both very nice, high quality shoes, but I’m not down with all the suede, and all the extra $$$. Target wedge sneaks all the way. ALL. THE. WAY. Couldn’t be happier.